A Restaurant Hostess / Host is a front of house job in hotels, tourist resorts, or restaurants for making guests feel welcome. They're a meeter and greeter who accommodates guests' needs from the moment they make a reservation.
This person is responsible for seating guests and may offer them snacks or drinks upon arrival. They also make sure that seating arrangements and other special requests are in order before guests arrive.
Restaurant Hostess / Host Job Description
You can adapt the below job description to your restaurant culture and expectations for the role. Feel free to copy and edit it for your job post.
As our Restaurant Hostess / Host, you'll be the first, and last person guests see so this is a significant role for us with room for growth and innovation. We're looking for a friendly, well mannered, and customer-oriented person to represent our vibrant restaurant in front of clients.
You'll take reservations, make seating plans, welcome guests, usher them to their table, and guarantee the quality of restaurant facilities and service at all times. You'll answer all questions regarding seating in the restaurant and will respond to other questions guests might have about the service. We seek someone proactive who approaches guests to make sure everything is as they desired, and who helps the team in giving them an unforgettable experience.
What Are the Key Tasks and Responsibilities of a Restaurant Hostess / Host?
- Meeting and greeting guests upon arrival.
- Taking seating reservations in advance through telephone, e-mail or other automated systems.
- Being the contact person for guests, especially regarding table reservations, special requests, VIP or disability assistance.
- Planning the seating arrangements as per guests' desires, bookings and restaurant facilities.
- Accompanying guests to the table and handing them over to the head waiter.
- Professionally, patiently and efficiently resolving guest complaints.
- Continually supporting the restaurant in the improvement of their service standards and processes.
What Skills Should a Restaurant Hostess / Host Have?
The person in this role should meet the following requirements:
- Customer-oriented mindset.
- Up to date with the restaurant's health and safety procedures.
- Possess exceptional planning, organisation, and communication skills.
- Able to resolve complaints swiftly, with empathy and politeness.
- Fluency in foreign languages (depending on the restaurant customers and location.)
- Has notions on how reservation systems work.
- Well-groomed appearance.
What Are the Typical Working Conditions of a Restaurant Hostess / Host?
This role requires being on one's feet for long hours and dealing with unhappy customers at times. Shifts can be full-time or part-time, depending on the opening hours of each facility.
Acting as a visiting card with a healthy dose of ambition is part of this role as a front of house host. Apart from the growth opportunities, keep in mind that many restaurants provide training and development, discounts and meals to their hostesses. Make sure to include working conditions and benefits on your job post to give more clarity to possible candidates and to attract the best profiles for the role.
ARE YOU HIRING?
Post Jobs & Advertise your vacancies on Hosco
Hire across all levels of seniority thanks to our pool of 1.5+ M professionals
LOOKING FOR A JOB?
Find Full-Time Hospitality Jobs & Internships
Join Hosco and apply for Your Dream Job
MORE RELATED CONTENT