A Restaurant Manager oversees the entire operations in a standalone restaurant or a restaurant within a hotel / resort. They hire and train restaurant staff and oversee food quality to make sure that guests have an unforgettable dining experience. It’s their job to supervise, motivate and encourage employees and ensure smooth collaboration at all times.
This person is responsible for the efficient distribution of tasks, layout of tables and the pleasant reception of guests. Restaurant Managers are focused on improving food quality, star ratings, workforce management and guest satisfaction.
Restaurant Manager Job Description
You can adapt the below job description to your hotel / restaurant culture and expectations for the role. Feel free to copy and edit it for your job post.
As our Restaurant Manager, you will be responsible for managing all the activities in the restaurant, from dining to room service and meetings and events. We’re looking for a proactive and helpful individual who knows how to bring all employees together and exceed guest expectations.
Your cooperative management style allows you to motivate and supervise all restaurant employees and fairly distribute tasks among them. You will initiate campaigns to promote the restaurant and develop menus by collaborating with the Head Chef. You will also make sure that your team helps our guests in a friendly and efficient manner. We seek someone who knows how to monitor departmental costs, minimise waste, make proactive adjustments and develop loyalty programs.
What Are the Key Tasks / Responsibilities of a Restaurant Manager?
- Motivating, training and coaching the restaurant team.
- Revamping the menu at times by collaborating with the Head Chef.
- Organising and planning employee rosters.
- Resolving guest complaints in a swift yet efficient way.
- Managing guest payments, placing orders with suppliers and overseeing logistics.
- Constantly supervising the progress and execution of all tasks.
- Monitoring employee performance.
- Discussing guest complaints and work floor bottlenecks and determining solutions in collaboration with your team.
- Monitoring and implementing procedures on health, safety and quality.
- Implementing promotional activities and campaigns based on events, seasons and ‘specials of the day’ together with the Head Chef.
What Skills Should a Restaurant Manager Have?
The person in this role should meet the following requirements:
- Strong leadership and teamwork capabilities.
- Excellent organisational, analytical and communication skills.
- Fluency in foreign languages, with a high sense of cultural awareness.
- Leadership skills with a focus on investing in people.
- Proficiency in budgeting, marketing and sales strategies.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a focus on opportunities and quality.
- High level of involvement and sense of responsibility.
What Are the Typical Working Conditions of a Restaurant Manager?
This role comes with high expectations and targets, working full-time and dealing with difficult customers at times. It is mostly spent on one’s feet by managing and supervising daily restaurant operations, whereas administrative tasks are performed behind a desk.
Although the role comes with a wide range of responsibilities, keep in mind that many hotels, resorts and restaurants offer training and development opportunities, free meals and other perks to their Restaurant Managers. Be sure to include working conditions and benefits on your job post to give more clarity to possible candidates and to attract the best profiles for the role.
ARE YOU HIRING?
Post Jobs & Advertise your vacancies on Hosco
Hire across all levels of seniority thanks to our pool of 1.5+ M professionals
LOOKING FOR A JOB?
Find Full-Time Hospitality Jobs & Internships
Join Hosco and apply for Your Dream Job
MORE RELATED CONTENT